By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
AIT LIVEAIT LIVEAIT LIVE
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
AIT LIVEAIT LIVE
Search AIT
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Follow US

Danil Medvedev Suffers First Round Defeat At Wimbledon

Last updated: June 30, 2025 6:19 pm
5 months ago
Share
3 Min Read
AIT IMAGES 55
Former US Open champion, Daniil Medvedev

Former US Open champion Daniil Medvedev said he was “not panicking” after a shock first-round defeat at Wimbledon extended his dismal Grand Slam form this year.

The Russian ninth seed lost 7-6 (7/2), 3-6, 7-6 (7/3), 6-2 to France’s Benjamin Bonzi in three hours and seven minutes in sweltering conditions on Court Two

Medvedev reached the Wimbledon semi-finals in 2023 and 2024 but the Russian’s bid for another strong run at the All England Club came to an abrupt end at the hands of the world number 64.

It is the first time in seven Wimbledon appearances that Medvedev has failed to advance past the opening round.

Medvedev, a six-time Grand Slam finalist, has endured a dismal year at the majors, losing in the Australian Open second round and French Open first round before his Wimbledon flop.

The 29-year-old, who won the US Open in 2021, defeated top seeded Jannik Sinner in the Wimbledon quarter-finals last year before losing to defending champion Carlos Alcaraz in the semi-finals.

But the Russian was not disappointed about his defeat on Monday, saying he would be “very worried” had he not reached the final at this month’s Halle grass-court event, which he lost to Alexander Bublik.

“I had a great week of preparation because I come in with confidence after Halle,” said Medvedev.

“I literally won every practice set I played. But it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter for the match. The match is a new story.

MUST READ:US Open: Novak Djokovic Beats Daniil Medvedev To Win Title

“First round, for sure many, many times you play a bit worse. If it would be second or third round, maybe I could have better shots, play better.”

The Russian had angrily slammed his racquet against his chair after losing, but said he was confident he will get back on track.

“It’s not panicking. But I was really worried after ‘s-Hertogenbosch (where he lost in the quarter-finals to Reilly Opelka). It was a lot of losses,” he said.

“For me it’s a matter of confidence. Again, I come back to this Halle tournament. If it would not be there, I would be here and say, ‘Look, something is definitely missing’.

“But no, just a matter of couple of matches, win matches. I feel like this year I lost a lot of close calls. When I start winning them, I can go up the rankings.

“For the moment, I’m not that worried. If I finish the year somewhere around 15 in the world, maybe I will be more worried. For the moment, I am not.”

AFP

(Editor: Paul Akhagbemhe)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Time Is Running Out to Close Continent’s Massive Infrastructure and Climate-Finance Gap – 2025 Africa Investment Forum Panel Warns November 29, 2025
  • Basketball Africa League and Wave Côte d’Ivoire unveil newly renovated basketball court in Abidjan November 29, 2025
  • Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) holds validation workshop for the draft regional e-government strategy November 29, 2025
  • Statement: Recommit and resource the power of women and girls to transform the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) response November 29, 2025
  • Ambassador Zhao Weiping Attends the Handover and Takeover Certificate Signing Ceremony of China-Aided Satellite Ground Data Receiving Station and Processing System Construction Project in Namibia November 29, 2025

Trending

Insecurity
Coalition of Northern Youths threaten mass action over insecurity
Local
aitlive 3 5
NAPTIP rescues 12-year-old girl forced into marriage in Benue State
Local
aitlive 1 33
President Tinubu vows to end Nigeria’s reliance on borrowing, targets 18% rise in Tax to GDP ratio
Economy Headlines
aitlive 7 1
Tinubu Meets Ayim, Metuh At Presidential Villa
Local
AIT IMAGES 4
Zamfara Govt. Pledges To Prioritise Girl-Child Education
Local

Section

  • Headlines
  • Local
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment

Programmes

  • Kakaaki
  • Focus Nigeria
  • Democracy Today
  • People Politics and Power
  • News Hour
  • AIT Reports
  • World News
  • Moneyline With Nancy
  • Jigsaw

About Us

  • About AIT
  • Our History
  • Our Awards
  • Our Values
  • Privacy Policy


Follow US
© AIT.LIVE. All Rights Reserved.
Join Us!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS HEADLINE AND EVENT OF THE DAY

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive daily news update direct in your inbox!

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?