By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
AIT LIVEAIT LIVEAIT LIVE
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
AIT LIVEAIT LIVE
Search AIT
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Follow US

Tyson Fury Announces Retirement From Boxing Again

Last updated: January 13, 2025 4:39 pm
11 months ago
Share
4 Min Read
AIT IMAGES 31
Tyson Fury

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury has announced his retirement from the sport. 

Fury last fought in December when he lost his rematch against WBA, WBC and WBO champion Oleksandr Usyk. 

The 36-year-old Fury previously announced his retirement after beating Dillian Whyte in April 2022 but returned six months later. 

The Briton has enjoyed two stints as heavyweight champion and holds a record of 34 wins, two defeats and one draw. 

“Hi everybody, I’m going to make this short and sweet,” Fury said. 

“I’d like to announce my retirement from boxing, it has been a blast, I’ve loved every single minute of it, and I’m going to end with this; Dick Turpin wore a mask.” 

The Briton shocked long-reigning world champion Wladimir Klitschko in 2015 to win the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, IBO, and The Ring heavyweight titles. 

After over two-and-a-half years out of the ring, during which he tackled mental health issues, Fury returned to action in 2018 and became a two-time champion by beating Deontay Wilder to claim the WBC belt in 2020. 

Fury’s decision to retire denies fans the chance to see a long-anticipated clash with fellow Briton Anthony Joshua. 

On Saturday, Joshua said a fight with Fury “has to happen this year” when speaking at the Ring Magazine awards. 

Matchroom’s Eddie Hearn, who promotes Joshua, has however questioned the legitimacy of Fury’s announcement, claiming that if he was “looking for the right deal”, he would also go into retirement.    

“If you haven’t got a heart for it anymore and you don’t want to compete anymore, I think retirement is the best option,” Hearn said, external. 

“Disappointing obviously for British fight fans because we’ve got the chance to make the biggest fight in boxing, but if that’s the last we see of him, he’s had a great career – I doubt it is the last time we will see him box.

“It’s always best to come into retirement to make sure that someone has to pay you to come out of retirement, but if that’s his lot then much respect to him and I wish him all the best.”

Fury has an undefeated record of 34 wins and one draw until he met Ukraine’s Usyk in the first heavyweight undisputed contest of the four-belt era.

Usyk won the first meeting by split-decision and backed up that performance with a unanimous decision victory last month.

Frank Warren, who promotes Fury, told BBC Radio 5 Live he had not spoken to Fury prior to his retirement announcement.

“I’ve said all along that there is no way I will be trying to in any way influence him,” Warren said.

“If that’s what he wants to do, that’s great. He’s done everything he can do. Probably been the best British heavyweight of his generation by far. Two-time world champion, two closely fought fights against Usyk. He’s got plenty of money, got his wits about him, got a lovely family. God bless him, enjoy. 

“He’s become a world star. If you look at some of the fights he’s had, he’s not been in one fight that hasn’t been exciting. Very, very exciting fights. Big heart, got off the floor when he’s been knocked down by big punches and came back to win fights. He’s been something special.”

(Editor: Paul Akhagbemhe)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Africa Investment Forum: African Development Bank appoints Societe Generale as Lead Advisor for innovative Synthetic Securitization Platform November 28, 2025
  • African Energy Chamber (AEC) Backs East Africa Court Ruling, Warns of Escalating Foreign Funded “Lawfare” Against African Energy Progress November 28, 2025
  • Measles deaths down 88% since 2000, but cases surge November 28, 2025
  • Seminar to nationals residing in Angola November 28, 2025
  • Merck Foundation Conducted their Health Media Training during the 7th Edition of Merck Foundation First Ladies Initiative - MFFLI Summit to support girl education and break infertility stigma November 28, 2025

Trending

Insecurity
Coalition of Northern Youths threaten mass action over insecurity
Local
aitlive 3 5
NAPTIP rescues 12-year-old girl forced into marriage in Benue State
Local
aitlive 1 33
President Tinubu vows to end Nigeria’s reliance on borrowing, targets 18% rise in Tax to GDP ratio
Economy Headlines
aitlive 7 1
Tinubu Meets Ayim, Metuh At Presidential Villa
Local
AIT IMAGES 4
Zamfara Govt. Pledges To Prioritise Girl-Child Education
Local

Section

  • Headlines
  • Local
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment

Programmes

  • Kakaaki
  • Focus Nigeria
  • Democracy Today
  • People Politics and Power
  • News Hour
  • AIT Reports
  • World News
  • Moneyline With Nancy
  • Jigsaw

About Us

  • About AIT
  • Our History
  • Our Awards
  • Our Values
  • Privacy Policy


Follow US
© AIT.LIVE. All Rights Reserved.
Join Us!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS HEADLINE AND EVENT OF THE DAY

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive daily news update direct in your inbox!

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?