President Donald Trump has said he will be “indirectly” involved in the talks between Iran and the United States which are due to begin in Geneva later on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, the US President added that he believed Iran wanted to make a deal over its nuclear programme.
The second round of talks in Switzerland follows repeated military threats against Iran over the country’s deadly crackdown on anti-government protests and the ongoing dispute over its nuclear programme.
On Monday, the foreign ministry in Tehran said it believed that the US position on the nuclear issue had moved towards “a more realistic one”.

Iran said Tuesday’s meeting, mediated by Oman, will focus on its nuclear programme and the potential lifting of economic sanctions imposed by the US.
Washington has previously indicated it wants to discuss other issues as well, such as Iran’s missile stockpile.
The President’s threats have come amid a US military build-up in the Middle East over the past few weeks.

Iran has responded to the US build-up with its own show of force.
On Monday, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) launched a maritime drill in the Strait of Hormuz, located in the Gulf between Oman and Iran.
The Strait is considered a vital international waterway and oil export route from Gulf Arab States.
Washington has dispatched Middle East Envoy, Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the White House said on Sunday.
US Secretary of State, Marco Rubio said reaching a deal with Tehran would be “very difficult.”
(Editor: Ken Eseni)

