By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
AIT LIVEAIT LIVEAIT LIVE
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
AIT LIVEAIT LIVE
Search AIT
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Follow US

Spanish Court Overturns Ex-Barcelona Star, Dani Alves’ Rape Sentence

Last updated: March 28, 2025 7:46 pm
11 months ago Agency Report
Share
4 Min Read
WhatsApp Image 2025 03 28 at 2.57.46 PM
Dani Alves

A Spanish appeal court has overturned former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves’ rape conviction, arguing that his trial was marked by “shortcomings” and “inaccuracies”.

Alves was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in jail in February last year for raping a young woman in the VIP bathroom of a Barcelona nightclub on December 31, 2022.

The 41-year-old, who won the Champions League three times with Barcelona, was released from jail last March pending his appeal after he posted the one million euros ($ 1.1 million) bail set by the court.

The appeal court said its four judges had “unanimously” accepted the player’s appeal and “annulled” his conviction.

The court also rejected the appeal filed by public prosecutors, who were seeking a more severe jail term of nine years.

Alves’ trial contained “a series of gaps, inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions regarding the facts, the legal assessment, and its consequences,” the court said in its ruling.

During the trial, the woman, who testified behind a screen to protect her identity, said Alves had violently forced her to have sex despite begging him to let her go, causing her “anguish and terror”, according to prosecutors present for her declaration.

Alves testified that his sexual encounter with the woman was consensual and denied hitting the woman and grabbing her hair.

“I am not that type of man, I am not violent,” he told the court after his defence lawyer asked if he had forced her to have sex.

“If she wanted to leave, she could have left; she was not obliged to be there,” he added.

His lawyers argued during the trial that the victim had been “glued” to the player while dancing at the nightclub.

Alves initially denied knowing his accuser in a TV interview but later acknowledged having sex with her after CCTV footage emerged showing the pair entering the lavatory of the nightclub.

He told La Vanguardia newspaper he had lied because he was afraid his wife would leave him.

The lower court had also demanded Alves pay 150,000 euros in compensation to his accuser, and ordered he serve five years’ probation after he completed his jail term.

But the appeal court said given that with the anulment of his conviction, these “precautionary measures” have been dropped.

Alves was a pivotal part of an all-conquering Barcelona team — crowned La Liga champions six times — and won 126 caps for Brazil, winning the Copa America twice.

He also won European league titles with Italian giants Juventus and French outfit Paris Saint-Germain.

At the time of his arrest, he was contracted to Mexican club Pumas UNAM — he was sacked soon afterwards.

Brazil’s leftist President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva criticised the court’s decision to grant Alves bail, saying at the time that money “cannot undo the crime that a man commits by raping a woman”.

Editor Paul Akhagbemhe

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Eni Expands African Exploration Footprint with Major Discoveries in Ivory Coast, Angola February 17, 2026
  • 2026 Marks Defining Moment for African Energy as African Energy Week (AEW) Launches Strategic Investment Agenda February 17, 2026
  • The Islamic Development Bank Institute (IsDBI) Announces Free Access to All eBooks During Ramadan and Eid al‑Fitr February 17, 2026
  • Egypt Seeks Strengthened Continental Mining Cooperation Through African Mining Week (AMW 2026) Participation February 17, 2026
  • “Kenya Has Proven It Can Host the World,” Affirms Rugby Africa President as HSBC SVNS 2 Draws over 15,000 Fans in Nairobi February 17, 2026

Trending

Insecurity
Coalition of Northern Youths threaten mass action over insecurity
Local
aitlive 1 33
President Tinubu vows to end Nigeria’s reliance on borrowing, targets 18% rise in Tax to GDP ratio
Economy Headlines
AIT IMAGES 4
Zamfara Govt. Pledges To Prioritise Girl-Child Education
Local
aitlive 3 5
NAPTIP rescues 12-year-old girl forced into marriage in Benue State
Local
aitlive 7 1
Tinubu Meets Ayim, Metuh At Presidential Villa
Local

Section

  • Headlines
  • Local
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment

Programmes

  • Kakaaki
  • Focus Nigeria
  • Democracy Today
  • People Politics and Power
  • News Hour
  • AIT Reports
  • World News
  • Moneyline With Nancy
  • Jigsaw

About Us

  • About AIT
  • Our History
  • Our Awards
  • Our Values
  • Privacy Policy


Follow US
© AIT.LIVE. All Rights Reserved.
Join Us!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS HEADLINE AND EVENT OF THE DAY

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive daily news update direct in your inbox!

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?