By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
AIT LIVEAIT LIVEAIT LIVE
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
AIT LIVEAIT LIVE
Search AIT
  • Live TV
  • Politics
  • National News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Videos
Follow US

Israel urged to suspend Gaza assault plans

Last updated: October 13, 2023 9:34 pm
2 years ago BY ADAMU SILAS
Share
4 Min Read
AIT IMAGES 21

Countries urged Israel on Friday to hold off on plans for an all-out assault on northern Gaza, where more than a million civilians largely defied its order to evacuate before it goes after Hamas militants who slaughtered Israelis a week ago.


Hamas, which controls the densely populated Palestinian territory, vowed to fight until the last drop of blood and told residents to stay put after Israel said they should move to the south within 24 hours.


While some heeded the call to leave, by Friday afternoon there was little sign of a mass exodus.
With power supplies cut and food and water in the Palestinian enclave running short after a week of retaliatory air strikes and a full Israeli blockade, the U.N. said Gaza’s civilians were in an impossible situation.


White House national security spokesman John Kirby said such a huge evacuation was a “tall order”, but that Washington would not second guess its ally’s decision to tell civilians to get out of the way.


The northern half of the Gaza Strip includes the enclave’s biggest settlement Gaza City. The U.N. said it had been told that Israel wanted the entire population to move across the wetlands that bisect the enclave.

MUST READ: Israel bombs south Lebanon after Hezbollah rocket fire


Mahmoud Abbas, President of the Palestinian Authority that is a rival of Hamas, told U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken in Jordan that the forced displacement of Palestinians in Gaza would constitute a repeat of 1948, when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled or were driven from what is now Israel. Most Gazans are the descendants of such refugees.

Abbas called for aid to be allowed into Gaza immediately. Israel has said it will not lift its blockade until scores of hostages captured by Hamas are set free.
Blinken and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed providing safe zones in Gaza “where civilians could relocate to be safe from Israel’s legitimate security operations,” a U.S. state department official told reporters.
The Israeli military has not spelled out what sort of operation it is planning next but has pledged to operate “significantly” in coming days.


Israel says the horrific attack on its civilians means it must annihilate the militant group and others must get out of the way.


Hamas tunnels, military compounds, senior operatives’ residences and weapons storage warehouses were among 750 military targets struck overnight, it said.


The military wing of Hamas said the latest air strikes had killed 13 of the captives it brought back from Israel and that it had fired 150 rockets at Israel in response.


The United Nations said Israel’s call for Gaza civilians to leave could not happen “without devastating humanitarian consequences”, prompting a rebuke from Israel which said it should condemn Hamas and support Israel’s right to self-defence.


A ground invasion of the narrow and densely populated Gaza Strip, home to 2.3 million people, poses serious risk, with Hamas threatening to kill its hostages.


Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Minister Okello meets Cuba’s Chargé d’Affaires A.I., decries universal coercive measures February 21, 2026
  • Ethiopia Dialogues on Progress Towards Building a Competent, Responsive, and Equitably Distributed Health Workforce for Universal Health Coverage February 21, 2026
  • World Health Organization (WHO) and Novo Nordisk Foundation partner to advance health workforce education in Kenya February 21, 2026
  • Invictus Investment posts record results for 2025 as EBITDA increases nearly threefold, up 184% year-on-year February 20, 2026
  • Africa’s Green Economy Summit 2026: Pan‑African green pipeline ready for scale and investors invited to catalyse USD 3.09bn in climate solutions February 20, 2026

Trending

Insecurity
Coalition of Northern Youths threaten mass action over insecurity
Local
aitlive 1 33
President Tinubu vows to end Nigeria’s reliance on borrowing, targets 18% rise in Tax to GDP ratio
Economy Headlines
AIT IMAGES 4
Zamfara Govt. Pledges To Prioritise Girl-Child Education
Local
aitlive 3 5
NAPTIP rescues 12-year-old girl forced into marriage in Benue State
Local
aitlive 7 1
Tinubu Meets Ayim, Metuh At Presidential Villa
Local

Section

  • Headlines
  • Local
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment

Programmes

  • Kakaaki
  • Focus Nigeria
  • Democracy Today
  • People Politics and Power
  • News Hour
  • AIT Reports
  • World News
  • Moneyline With Nancy
  • Jigsaw

About Us

  • About AIT
  • Our History
  • Our Awards
  • Our Values
  • Privacy Policy


Follow US
© AIT.LIVE. All Rights Reserved.
Join Us!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS HEADLINE AND EVENT OF THE DAY

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive daily news update direct in your inbox!

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?